These pants feature a lot of “firsts” for me. My first Sewaholic pattern, pants, fly front zipper, and also welt pockets. I followed along with the Thurlow sewalong, which made these a breeze to construct. Thanks to Lauren I had success with my very first welt pocket ever attempted.
I cut a size 6, but then ended trimming off an inch from both side seams. I’ll start with a 4 next time I make these (and there will definitely be a next time). The curved waist band makes these *so* comfortable, the rise is just right, and they don’t show booty crack when I bend over…. HOLLA!!! Thank you Tasia! All of my RTW pants, if they fit my thighs are too big in the waist. These fit both areas, it’s a great day.
I made these using some of the bolt of stretch denim I got for super cheap at Scrap. The fabric was donated by Columbia Sportswear, and is very heavy duty. I was concerned that it would be too bulky, but I just took extra care in pressing and used my clapper to make all of my creases super crisp and flat. I lined these using a little bit of a Michael Miller sugar skull print I had in my stash. I love how colorful and fun the interior is.
I really like these pants, but I’m not sure if they’ll have much longevity. I had a couple oops. I didn’t muslin these since I have so much of the denim, so that’s bound to be the case. I accidentally serged a hole in the crotch trying to finish a seam. I darned it and put some fray check over the hole, but this denim is extremely prone to fraying. I also think I cut a little *too* close to the “windows” when I made my welts and I can see a tiny bit of fraying in the corners. Mistakes are just a part of the learning process though, my next pants are just going to be that much better :)
I haven’t decided if I’m going to write a year end round up post, with my sewing resolutions for the new year. My number one resolution is to take my time and work on fit. I did that with these pants and they feel so comfortable because of that.