I’ve had the shorts done for a while but the top had me stumped. To recap this was made from vintage Butterick 8197 from the mid 1950’s. My pattern was for a vintage size 16 and was too bodacious up top, not to mention pointy. I made 5 different muslins (honestly not that much time due to how small of these pieces are). I was definitely winging it. I made a sort of awkward SBA, and decided that it was close enough. Mostly I just shrank the darts.
This is the same green and cream seersucker and lime colored bemberg lining used on the shorts. I had to remove the snaps I had used on the waist band and get over my fear of my buttonholer attachment. These cute floral buttons were in my growing thrifted button stash.
If you’re new to this blog, I recently went from a big-box modern Singer machine to a 35 year-old Kenmore. Elsa (that’s what I named the Kenmore) and I are getting to know each other and I was feeling a little bit intimidated by setting up the buttonholer. I was so used to the automatic 4 step buttonhole the Singer did. I don’t know what I was so afraid of. It makes beautiful tight stitches and took hardly any extra time to set up. I made a little sampler of all of the available buttonholes and sizes so that I can quickly gauge which size will accommodate my chosen button.